Sunday, August 28, 2011

Done with Doubles!

Today I finished the last of my double long runs in preparation for my double half-marathons. I was happy that it was my last long run because I have been so fearful of injury, but sad because I really have enjoyed this past month of getting up early every Saturday and Sunday to do my runs.

I am feeling pretty good about my upcoming races. I know my body can handle the miles, and as long as I eat enough before and during I will have enough energy to get through them both. I am not looking forward to the 5-hour round-trip for the second one, but there's not much I can do about that.

I have noticed a few other improvements related to my running over the last month. For one, I no longer have to wait 90 minutes after eating before running. I used to get bad sideaches if I didn't wait that long, but now I can run 30 minutes after eating and be fine. Also, no more tummy issues! (Knock on wood!). Previously I would get bad cramps after runs of more than 4-5 miles, and they would last for up to 2 hours. I amazingly did not have a single cramp during or after any of my 8 long runs. I could not believe it.

I am soooo grateful that I made it through this training. At times I thought I had any number of injuries - shin splints, stress fractures, pulled hamstring, patellar tendonitis, achilles tendonitis, soleus strain, ITBS, you name it. Yes I possibly over-react and jump to conclusions at the slightest twinge of pain. Luckily my husband happily puts up with all of my running craziness :) I am lucky to be married to a fellow runner.

Hope everyone else had a good weekend and stayed safe during the hurricane! So sad to see all the flooding/damage where we used to live in VA :(

No comments:

Post a Comment