Friday, January 21, 2011

Chlorine + contacts = not good

I just did my first swim practice ever. I took swim lessons when I was a kid but I have never just gone to the pool to swim laps. Until today!

I swim crooked, always have, and I wanted my own lane so I waited until 8pm on a Friday to go to the pool at the gym. The gym was surprisingly crowded for a Friday night. But there was one lane open! I got in the pool and I had to get into the middle lane. I had serious anxiety for a second about going under the water to get into the lane. It was weird. I haven't been in a pool for over 2 years and I'm not used to having my head underwater.

I'm not sure what you're supposed to do at swim practice. Since the last time I tried to swim I could not even do one length, that was my goal. To make it all the way down the pool without stopping. And I did! And then I did it 7 more times. I took about a minute break between each length, towards the end of each swim I would feel worn out and a little panicky. I have a huge fear of drowning. I got a calf cramp during my last length so I stopped after 8. 200 meters isn't bad for my first swim. I don't know how fast you are supposed to go, but I was averaging about 35 seconds per 25 meters.

The good thing is, the last time I attempted to swim (2008) I was exhausted after 10 mins, and today I didn't feel tired in the least. I don't even feel like it counts as exercise. I feel like maybe I should have done 300 or 400 meters, but I don't want to do too much too soon.

Tomorrow I am hopefully doing a long run and some strength training. Gotta work on my bootay if I'm gonna be struttin around the pool in my swimsuit.

No comments:

Post a Comment