Sunday, July 11, 2010

8 miles and 20 pounds

Our heat wave finally broke this weekend and it was a surprisingly cool 73 at 6 this morning. Made for perfect long-run weather! Hubby had to leave at 6am for a (military) PT test so it helped having someone else get up early with me. I set out to do 8 miles, fully aware I would probably have to take walk breaks. I didn't have the Garmin since hub was using it for his test, but I had measured a loop around our apartment that was 1 1/3 miles so I ran that 6 times. Surprisingly I was able to run the whole 8 miles! I felt pretty good till the last mile when I started to lose steam. I had a Powerade gel after 4 miles, it probably would have helped if I had another later on but I was stopping at 8 so I didn't.

Immediately after my run my stomach started freaking out. It couldn't decide if it was hungry, nauseaus, or crampy. It's been about 2 hours and I still feel pretty crappy. This is the only bad thing about running, the post-long-run stomach issues. It is the only thing that may keep me from doing long-runs in the long-term. I'm hoping my body will adjust as I do more long runs but so far I have problems if I go more than 3 1/2 miles, with rare exceptions.

For the rest of the day I'm just going to relax, maybe ice my aching ankle and knee. Eat some ice cream and cookies, it is my cheat day after all and I burned about 1000 cals this morning. Oh! Which reminds me, after my run I weighed and I was at a new lowest weight ever, again! Down exactly 20 lbs from March. Some of it was from sweating, but I did drink 20 oz of water during my run so it's not too much lower than my "real" weight. Whoo-hoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment