Saturday, June 12, 2010

Helvetia Drop Top 10K

So proud of my mom! Our goal was to finish in under 2 hours (as previously stated), normally she does between 3.1 and 3.4mph on the treadmill for an hour so we figured this was doable. And we were right! Our finish time according to my Garmin was 1:46.42. Chip times haven't been posted yet but I'm guessing it will be close to this. We started out doing 17-17:20 min miles and sped up to 16:40-17 min miles the second half. To speed walkers that probably doesn't sound fast, but for us it is great. I didn't really train to walk it, I've mainly been running, and it was actually more physically strenuous and I felt more sore afterward than when I ran the 10k last weekend. I feel fine now, but my shins and quads were a little tight earlier. There were some good inclines and declines, but nothing too steep. Definitely nothing compared to last week.

After we finished (in the middle of a football stadium with thousands of people spectating), we went and got our free burgers from Helvetia Tavern (famous around the state for their burgers). I got a garden burger, it hit the spot! We sat in the stands of the stadium eating and watching finishers come in. It was such a fun event! We talked about doing it again next year, and maybe I would run the half-marathon and mom would walk the 10k again, and we'd meet after for the burger. When I get back to VA tomorrow I will try to post some pictures. Can't believe I am leaving Oregon in less than 8 hours. Sad :(

No comments:

Post a Comment