Thursday, January 26, 2012

Cha-Ching

Last October I ran the Portland Marathon Half (that is how they say it, not Portland Half-Marathon). It was a very fun race and the first time I ran 13.1 miles straight with no walking. So, it holds a special place in my heart.

I keep getting emails that the 2012 Marathon and Half are filling up, and the Half will close January 31st. While I would enjoy doing it again, the registration fee is $125. It is hard to justify paying $125 to run a half-marathon...that is a lot of money! I could run 2-3 half-marathons for that price. So is it worth it?

Now that we have less disposable income I have to really analyze if I want to pay money to run. I can run 13.1 miles for free anytime I want. So what am I getting for my money? And how much is too much to pay for something I can do for free?

I know that races are great experiences and you can run with friends/family, try for PRs, use them as an excuse to travel, etc. But I would be running this course solo, and it is 30 minutes away so no travel involved. I suppose I could try for a PR, but last time it was raining for several miles which always slows me down because I'm so nervous about slipping.

I better decide soon...only 5 registration days left!

How much are you willing to pay for a race?

2 comments:

  1. LOL! I just finished registering for my years races...oh my. I feel a little guilty. But generally I don't spend money on other things, hobbies, going out to eat.... so I deserve it right? :)

    ReplyDelete