Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Paying the piper

On the bright side, I was able to get through 6 months of training and 2 half-marathons without being sidelined by any injuries. On the not-so-bright side, all that training has been silently building tension and irritation in my IT bands, which have decided now is a good time to let me know. I need to get back on my training plan if I am going to be ready for OBX in 6 weeks, but I can't get rid of this nagging IT band pain. The good thing is it doesn't hurt when I am actually running, just afterward. And especially when I try to rub it or use the Stick on it. After the race I tried doing 2 days rest, 1 day running but it didn't last long; I ran 3 days out of the last 4. Not so smart. I am going back to 2 days off, 1 day on I guess. The pain doesn't really bug me, but I don't want it to turn into a bigger problem where I have to take a few weeks off or get professional treatment.

I have a 5K and a 10K planned in October, so hopefully I can get through those without problems. With tapering and the halfs it's been awhile since I've run 10K straight (2 months to be exact). It will be an interesting month.

No comments:

Post a Comment