Sunday, September 25, 2011

PDR-NWB! (Personal Distance Record - No Walk Breaks)

So yes I have run half-marathons before, but I usually walk 1-2 minutes every 3-4 miles. Before this morning the longest I had run without walking was 9.1 miles, and that was last October. Last weekend I ran my 8 miles straight so today I set out to see if I could do my whole run without walking. I had 10 miles on the schedule. Want to know how far I ran before I stopped to walk?


11 miles! I couldn't believe it! I ran the first 10 which put me at 1 hour, 55 minutes. You just can't stop running when you are only 5 minutes away from hitting 2 hours. Then when I hit 2 hours, I was at 10.4 miles. Who stops at .4 miles? So I made it a nice even 11. Yes I was tempted to run 13.1 right then and there just to prove I could. But, I will have that chance in 2 weeks at the Portland Half-Marathon.

Now I am debating...should I go slow (11-11:30/mile) during the race so I can run the whole thing? Or do I go at the pace I have been training for (9:50/mile) and risk getting tired and having to take walk breaks? Both of these things (running a half without walking, and running a sub-2:10 half) are big goals of mine.

Decisions, decisions!

4 comments:

  1. Congrats on such a great run! I prefer to run slower and eliminate walk breaks, because it's tough for me to get started again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the great run! I don't think I've ever ran farther than 10 miles with no walking breaks. You are going to rock your half!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on your accomplishment! I wanted to say hi for two reasons: 1. your name is Meg too! and 2. you live on the west side of Mississippi. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Only 353 calories burned??!!...slacker. Very proud of you! Keep up the hard work!

    ReplyDelete