Thursday, July 28, 2011

Goals

Lately I have been re-evaluating where I am in my running and where I want to be. I have made progress this year, but with training for fall races starting, I want to make sure I get as much as I can out of my training and running before race season ends. I've been toying around with a few goals but I think I am more likely to stay focused on them if I write them down for everyone to see.

Goal #1: Run a sub-2 hour half-marathon.
- My current PR is 2:19.45 (May), and since then I have gotten faster. According to McMillan's running calculator, I need to do my 400 repeats at 7.8-8.2mph in order to acheive this pace. I started doing speedwork 2-3 months ago, and I am up to 7.6mph for my 400s, so I think I can do this. I am hoping for a sub-2:10 half at Portland in October, and to get my sub-2 at a spring half TBD.

Goal #2: Run a half-marathon with no walking.
- My current race strategy is to take 1-2 minute walk breaks at 3.5, 7, and 10 miles so I can eat my Power Bar. I think physically I can run all 13 miles without walking (I have run 9 miles+ without walking during training), but mentally I use those walk breaks as a crutch. I don't have a goal race for this yet. Maybe Rock n Roll Portland in May, I am running it with my husband and it would be nice to not have to walk.

Goal #3: Run 2 half-marathons in 2 days.
- This WILL include walking. Where I live, during July 4th weekend there is a "Firecracker Triple" - 3 half-marathons in 3 days over the holiday weekend. I have wanted to do something like that ever since I found out about it. And, bonus! It would qualify me for the 4th level of Half Fanatics. In June, I walked a half-marathon with my mom, and the next day I ran 8 miles and felt fine. So I think I will be fine with the mileage, as long as I take it slow and include lots of walking. I have my eye on 2 races over Labor Day weekend. If I can get in a few back-to-back long runs before then I think I will try it.

Goal #4: Run a marathon.
- Last fall I registered for the Eugene Marathon as my first marathon. I was supposed to start training at the end of December/start of January, but I ended up moving across the county, buying a house, getting a promotion, etc. and it was not the right time. I did the half instead and had a great time. But, I am still drawn to complete a full 26.2. I don't know when this will be. I think after I complete goals 1-3.

It looks like I have my work cut out for me! I like to always have a race to focus on so I think it will be good. Keep me on track.

Anyone else having any running goals they are working towards?

No comments:

Post a Comment