Saturday, April 14, 2012

Saturday Stuff

I can't believe it has been over a week since I blogged! This past week has flown by I guess.

I have been building back my running and so far it has been going good. I am beyond excited! For the first few runs, I was paranoid my ankle would start hurting so I was just waiting for the run to be done so I didn't have to worry. Now that I have a few pain-free runs under my belt I am starting to enjoy running more again. These were my runs/workouts last week:

Sunday - 6 miles @ 11:19 pace
Monday - rest
Tuesday - Zumba
Wednesday - 4 miles @ 10:54 pace, and physical therapy session (that always feels like a workout!)
Thursday - Zumba
Friday - 4 miles @ 10:54 pace, and personal training session
Saturday - arms and abs strength training, and 20 mins of a Zumba class

Before I got tendonitis, I was running at a 9:41 pace. I was happy and comfortable with that, it's not fast to most runners but its fast for me. Then I had to slow down to an 11+ pace to keep my ankle from hurting. Now I have to slooooooowly build my pace back up. I think I am just going to keep it between 10 and 11 until after my half-marathon, then increase the speed.

It is frustrating having to slow down so much! I start to have negative thoughts while running, comparing myself to how I used to be. I know I should just be grateful that I can run again! So I am trying to focus on the positive.

Tomorrow I have a long run of 8 miles so hopefully that goes well. Last Sunday's 6 miler was good, except I was totally out of energy. My body is adjusting to running again, it is surprising how fast you lose endurance!

Hope everyone is having a great weekend!

4 comments:

  1. I hate when I have set backs for the same reason. I have worked soooo hard over the last few years to get a little faster, and all it takes is one little thing to slow you down. I'm glad you are out running again. You'll get it back soon. And running in the 9s is not slow to most of us ever. :) I have never even posted a single mile in the 9s in a race, a couple in training runs but those have been all out sprints!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement :) Yeah it takes so long to speed up, and then one little injury or break sets you back so much!

      Delete
  2. Way to get back out there and build! I can imagine how upsetting it is to slow down so much, but just remember that you are running again and you're healthy and that's the important thing, the speed will come!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yeah I am trying to focus on the fact that at least I can run again without pain! I need to keep reminding myself lol.

      Delete